Friday 12 June 2009

The Merits of Insomnia

I'm officially nocturnal.

I think I should get some sort of identification card that states this; something like being a junior member of the Spiderman Crime Fighting League (or some such thing) that I can whip out and show people who look at me like I'm just lazy for waking up at 2. Well yesterday/the day before, I didn't get to bed until noon.

I like to think it's ambition-driven insomnia rather than plain old ordinary insomnia. When I finally slept at some point over the last god-knows-how-many-hours, I was dreaming of interview questions.

At some indiscriminate point I transcribed, edited, and formatted the interviews with Pour Habit and the Flatliners. It's funny how memory works: Chris Cresswell interviewed like a pro, but going back over it, he really didn't say much. Especially when I asked if their change of direction was intentional. Don't get me wrong -- I like the band, but the usable content only amounted to about 400 words for 20 minutes.

Pour Habit emerged as the overall winners, and after having gone over their interview again, I really can't say enough good things about them. Colin Walsh was my primary point of contact, but the rest of the band (minus lead singer Chuck) participated as well. Colin was lovely and gave proper answers, which I appreciated to no end, but the transcription with the bands' commentary is comedy gold. I threw out a few pictures in favour of jokes, and it's great fun to read. I'm excited to see it in print.

Which should happen, by the way, sometime next week.

I've been arguing with myself over the importance of paper weight and texture over the past several days/nights.

As I write this, I'm listening to the recent launch of The Death of Chapman Baxter (Where's My Girl) and it's bloody exciting. It's good to know that someone out there is influenced by the same things I am, and I love the way it's all come out. I'm writing an article for Feedback about it for this month, but Punk John is going to do a live review for The Antagonist and I can't wait to read it. They're playing in town in a couple of weeks, and I, for one, am going to make damned sure I'm there.

1 comment: